Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, June 15, 2007

Greeny


My pride and joy in the summer is growing plants in the garden. Since it's only Jimmy and I (for now!) I try to grow only what we will need so as not to waste food.










The pictures on the left are taken just a few weeks after I planted the seedlings. One the right, the plants have grown for over a month and are starting to blossom. Soon, we will have deliciously fresh veggies which I grew myself!













The best part about the veggies is that I know they were well cared for and grown organically. This year, I had a problem with aphids attacking my cucumber and pepper plants. I made an organic pesticide using garlic, onions, hot peppers, and a little soap. This is not at all harmful to humans, but kills the bugs currently munching on the leaves and repels others. It's worked very well and my sweet and hot peppers are now thriving. We've also got carrots, heirloom and cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, and garlic.

No comments: